Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Under the Umbrella


Something about this image has haunted me since I took it in central Christchurch last week.
I watched this old couple walk up to the wire cordon, their faces bleak and pressed against the wire.
I wondered about the memories they had of their city and how they saw it now, post-earthquakes.


It was a grey day, filled with drizzle and cloud. 
The sort of day that always stirs my thoughts.
"Come along my dear, we must get out of this weather," he said to her.
She looked at him with a sad smile and together, they turned away from the fence
And walked toward another.
Umbrella raised.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

My mum and dad are 76 .. lived in Christchurch all their lives and ended up in the red zone. It was eventually seeing Sydenham [Colombo Street] obliterated that had a big impact on mum .... lots of memories of Sydenham from her childhood. I felt so sad for her :o(

Sandy

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin