Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Geeks Fight Back

I can no longer deny the truth - I am NOT technologically gifted. Today my computer died on me - well, actually, I probably killed it...temporarily at least. It seems to be a very particular talent I have. So... just when there is lots of work to be done, I have to unplug the tangle of mysterious cords feeding in to the back of the hard drive - making detailed drawings of which plug goes where so I can put it together again - and deliver it to the friendly team of experts at The Computer Centre. Coincidentally - and rather strangely - within an hour, I receive an unrelated exhibition invitation - to "A Geekosystem" by Adam Hyde and Julian Priest, at The Physics Room in Christchurch. In the lead up to the show, the two artists are running free walk-in workshops. You're invited to take in your old gadgets and electronics for recycling (my computer springs instantly to mind) and learn how to make dinky new gadgets - "a long distance internet wireless network using tin cans" perhaps; or your own solar panel or tv transmitter. The resulting accumulation of recycled gadgets - "A Geekosystem" - opens Friday, February 22nd, http://www.physicsroom.org.nz/ The Rewi PC may yet make a guest appearance!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin