Monday, March 8, 2010

Award-Winning Melbourne Style

I was wandering along Flinders Lane in Melbourne, looking for the rear gate to St Paul’s Anglican Cathedral, when I found myself outside the small, discreet, award-winning Adelphi Hotel. From the street, it’s hard to see that it’s a hotel at all. Apart from a small (and naturally discreet) sign and a striking foyer that looks more like a furniture design store from pavement level, there are few giveaways. Had I looked up of course, I would have seen the Adelphi rooftop swimming pool suspended over Flinders Lane…..they say it’s one of the most photographed hotel pools in the world.
Designed by the Melbourne architectural practice, Denton Corker Marshall it opened just a year or three ago (if my memory serves me correctly) and immediately grabbed attention for its sleek minimalist design. Denton Corker Marshall is an award-winning architectural practice employing over 200 people worldwide in offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Ho Chi Minh City, London and Warsaw. I’ve written about them before…click on their name below to see another example of their work. www.adelphi.com.au

1 comment:

Peter Johns said...

Hi, the hotel opened in about 1993 - I'm quite sure as I went there regularly from 1995 to 99. Sadly, it was closed down last week by the tax office.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin