Monday, June 8, 2009

Seeing Red

Christchurch Art Gallery. June 2009. Ajr When I heard about Fiona Jack’s painting on the ugly, poorly-sited car park bunker at Christchurch Art Gallery, I feared I may not arrive back in Christchurch in time to see it. The evidence is here before you – I did! And I love it. The afternoon I stopped by, the sun was darting all over the gallery’s glass façade, creating a separate, reflected dance across the now-red bunker wall work. It added to the whole business for me – all dribbled and scribbled and shimmering. Lickable almost - not that I suppose Fiona Jack would be thrilled to hear that. Jack collaborated with passersby to create the work; they contributed the words – words related to political issues and protest. She describes the end result as “a giant noisy picture.” She wanted the wall “to yell a little” – hence the bright, seering red.
And it turns out I needn’t have worried about missing the work.
A Wall, and Other Thoughts
Acrylic on wood
Is on display on the bunker until later this year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin