Thursday, July 29, 2010

Winter Vines - Marlborough

Drop me off in the middle of a wine region anywhere in the country - anywhere in the world for that matter - and I'll be as happy as a pig in mud, as I wander about taking photographs.
On my recent road trip around New Zealand (just on the turn of autumn) I was somewhat hampered by a strict timetable but I still managed to come home with more vineyard photographs than I care to admit to. These shots were taken in the Wairau Rver Region, in Marlborough, just south of Blenheim, where there has been an explosion of vine planting in recent years. If you stand on any high point here, you'll see vines marching across the landscape in soldier-like rows, as far as the eye can see. That holds for most parts of Marlborough actually - a region that, in the last 25 years, has established itself as one of the world's premier wine-producing regions, responsible for over 50% of New Zealand's total wine production. There are now over 110 wineries in the region - probably more since I acquired that statistic and if you're keen to know more, check www.winemarlborough.net.nz

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin