Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Corrugated Iron - Unexpected Beauties

Following on from yesterday's post (below) about Wood's Mill in Addington, I thought I'd say again how much I love corrugated iron as a building material - and, as it turns out, as something of an art material.
I took these photographs of graffiti on the old, corrugated iron grain and storage sheds that sit beside the railway lines. I love the way the iron has aged, rusted and buckled and how the applied paint has settled into the grooves to create unexpected textures and dimensions. I spend hours in places like this, photographing the random markings of phantom graffiti artists.....and what is it about the connection between railways and graffiti? I've noticed that that's an international partnership. The two just seem to go hand-in-hand.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin