Friday, June 25, 2010

The Small Architectural Details

I'm a big fan of breaking down the big picture, of homing in on the small details and that applies as much in architectural photography as anything else - especially when a building has been photographed as much as the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa.
And so it was a few weeks ago when I was roaming the Wellington Waterfront early in the evening, just as the light was turning. Te Papa showed another side of itself....the small details, cleverly illuminated, so how could I refuse to snap the moment.
I've returned in daylight and while I always have enjoyed the bold architectural statement of Te Papa, these particular details are less dramatic by day. But having seen them by night, it did prompt me to re-look at the building by day. I guess that's the important thing. We do after all, miss so much in the cold light of our busy lives - so many exquisite details go unseen as we hurry about our familiar environments. www.tepapa.govt.nz

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin