Friday, February 12, 2010

A New Gallery

I walked right by this new art gallery in small-town Oxford in North Canterbury last weekend. I'm seldom lured into brand-new psuedo-colonial style buildings in little country towns; they usually house some awful retail atrocity that I'd rather not subject myself to. But my friend went in on our second passing, so I followed her in. It actually turned out to be rather a nice exhibition space - though I could happily have worn blinders against most of the art on display. Turns out that this is stage one in a large development - Arts in Oxford - which will grow to include a large area of workshops at the rear in stage two. It's supported by the Canterbry Community Trust, The Keith Laugesen Charitable Trust, the Waimakariri District Council and the Waimakariri Community Arts Council; and in the rapidly growing and propserous little town of Oxford, it's bound to serve a useful purpose. www.oxfordnewzealand.co.nz

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin