Friday, March 28, 2008

Artist Studio - 4




Christchurch fabric artist, Jenny Gillies has lost count of how many costumes she’s created for theatre, opera, the World of Wearable Art Awards, conferences, race days and her now-famous and eagerly-awaited choreographed costume performance staged annually at Christchurch Cathedral.
“I must have done hundreds over the years…..I don’t know really….I live a chaotic lifestyle,” she says with a laugh and a sweep of her hand. “I keep all my flower costumes though. They’re stored around the house. It drives my family crazy.”
The Gillies house is almost entirely given over to creative pursuits. The whole place is one fantastic chorus of colour and the upstairs rooms Jenny has claimed as studio space are my idea of heaven - upright bolts of electric blue, red, green, orange, yellow and pink silks jostle for attention; baskets are filled with colour-co-ordinated cottons, a ‘million’ small containers are filled with a sewer’s essentials and half-completed floral costumes fill every corner – it’s one giant, colourful, exuberant creative den that I could happily spend hours in. www.jennygillies.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin